Tags

, , , , , , , ,

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 6.04.11 PMFrom what I know 2013 was a pretty wet and tough year for Virginia wine. For those that do not know, Virginia is already a hard place to get good grapes due to it’s humid and wet climate so if you get a little more than normal it really can mess things up. The 2013 Trump Chardonnay is one of the few wines I have tried from 2013. Trump bought the winery that was formally called Kluge about 2 years ago. I never visited it when it was Kluge but I have reviewed a few of the former wines here and here.

However, recently, I did get a chance to visit the tasting room at Trump and picked up this bottle. Overall, the tasting room is nice and surprisingly modest. The person doing our tasting was wonderful but the wines are heavily white and almost half sparkling. When the person doing the tasting showed us how most of their vineyards is Chardonnay, I now understood. If I remember right the regular non-sparkling Chardonnay was not on the tasting sheet but they had a bottle and let us try and that is where I picked this one up.

Here are the tasting notes from Trump Winery:

Chardonnay is hand-harvested early in the morning and whole cluster pressed. 90% is fermented in stainless tank at no more than 60°F and the remaining 10% is fermented in French oak barrels. No malolactic fermentation keeps acidity and freshness, while mixing of the lees at the end of the alcoholic fermentation for 1-2 months rounds out the mouth and builds great structure.

Tasting Notes:

Our Chardonnay boasts an attractive light yellow-green color and vibrant pear and lemon aromas. Lush and crispy on the palate, its bright citrus notes beautifully balance the subtle creaminess and vanilla that comes on the finish.  Delicious and refreshing, our 2013 Chardonnay will compliment roast chicken, salads, fresh seafood, and spicy entrees.

And for $16.00, it is at a decent value.

Color – Bright, light golden yellow.

Nose – Fresh Pear with a little citrus.

Taste – More Pear and it is very crisp. You can definitely get that Champagne-like flavors from the lees.

Finish – Medium with low-medium acid.

Overall, this Chardonnay is fantastic. If this is what their Chardonnay tastes like on an off year, I can’t imagine what it taste like on a good year. There is no oak in the Chardonnay and it really lets the fruit shine. It is at a great price and it is clean and crisp. What else could you want from a Chardonnay. Way to go Trump!

Rating: A

~Justin